Thursday, January 27, 2011

Lofthouse Cookies Take 2: This Time, It's Personal

Two of the top ingredients in Lofthouse cookies are powdered sugar and margarine. The Jiffy mix recipe did not contain either...until now.

I decided to substitute powdered sugar for the regular sugar and margarine for the shortening. Everything else is the same. I made a full batch this time. The frosting recipe that I used was taken from a forum in which someone claimed it was just like the real thing. I have a few of those in my back pocket. (This someone LIES, by the way!)


Jiffy Mix on Steroids Lofthouse Cookies

Ingredients
  • 2c "JIFFY" Baking Mix
  • 2/3c powdered sugar
  • 1/3c milk
  • 5T margarine, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1t vanilla
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment.
  2. Combine all ingredients and blend well.
  3. Drop by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheet.
  4. Bake 6-8 minutes.
Lofthouse Frosting
Ingredients
  • 1/2c margarine
  • 1/2c shortening
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4t almond extract
  • 1/2t vanilla extract
  • 4 1/2c powdered sugar
Directions
  1. Blend the butter, shortening, egg whites, and flavorings together in a mixer for a minute or so. 
  2. Add 1/2 the sugar and gently start to mix, then mix on high for a minute until all lumps are smooth. 
  3. Add the remainder of the sugar and gradually increase your mixer volume to high as the sugar blends in. Leave mixer on high for two minutes (scraping sides once).

I have to say I liked the first recipe, frosting and cookie, better. I think the shortening in the frosting was too prevalent. I had to use way more extract than it called for to just mask the shortening taste. Also the consistency of the frosting was a mess, but that could have been because I ran out of powdered sugar. Regardless, I'll stick with the Jiffy Sugar Cookies and try out another frosting sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment