Saturday, January 8, 2011

Frito Candy

In my attempts to come up with some sort of clever "Free to Lay" joke, I ran across this TRUE STORY, which is better than anything I could have imagined.

While you're contemplating what the world is coming to, I'll tell you about this awesome, awesome candy. Anna from Cookie Madness created Frito candy, and it became a ridiculous hit for obvious reasons. Who doesn't love a good sweet and salty combo?

I made a few changes to the original recipe and, after trying it out, I would make a few more. I've written the recipe as I will make it in the future. And, oh yes, I definitely will be making this again.


Sweet, Salty, Frito Candy

Ingredients
  • 2c pretzels, broken up
  • 2c Fritos, broken up (like in half)
  • 24 Reese's cups minis (not to be confused with miniatures) cut in half
  • 8T butter
  • 1/2c brown sugar
  • 1c each of milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips (for a total of 2c of chocolate chips)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 13×9 inch pan with non-stick foil.
  2. Dump broken pretzels, Fritos and halved pb cups into the pan so they are evenly distributed.
  3. Melt butter in a non-stick saucepan medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. Bring mixture to a full boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring once or twice. Pour evenly over Frito mixture (give it a little mix with a wooden spoon if need be) and bake for 8 minutes.
  4. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle combo of milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips over hot candy. Return to oven for 1 minute to soften chips. Spread softened chocolate chips over bars.
  5. Cool at room temperature until you feel the pan is cool enough to be transferred to your refrigerator, then transfer to refrigerator to set the chocolate. When chocolate is set, lift from pan and break the candy up.
The original recipe called for 1 cup of Fritos, but I think we were in agreement that more were necessary. Also, I only used 1 1/2c of chocolate chips. Based on how difficult it was for me to actually get the chips to spread out, I would definitely ratchet it up to 2 cups total. 

Oh my gosh this stuff is great! GREAT GREAT GREAT!!! I am definitely looking for another opportunity to make this again.

1 comment:

  1. I might actually try to make this. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete