Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Balls

A few weeks ago we had breakfast for dinner with Becky's crazy pancakes (think mix-ins like bacon, Fritos and Sour Skittles). Good times with great people. To finish off the evening on a decadent note, I made some cake balls. My man requested this particular combination.

First off, does anyone know where I can find canned Peanut Butter Frosting? The frosting I made was easy, but still, the less work on my part, the better. For these cake balls I used a Devil's Food cake mix and a Peanut Butter Frosting recipe from the Cake Mix Doctor.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Balls


Ingredients
  • 1pkg Devil's food cake mix (with necessary water, eggs and oil)
  • 1c, plus 2T creamy pb
  • 8T butter, softened
  • 1t vanilla
  • 3-4T milk
  • 2c powdered sugar, sifted
  • white baking bark
Directions
  1. Bake cake as directions and cool completely.
  2. Crumble up cake into LARGE bowl.
  3. In a medium bowl or your handy-dandy mixer (shout out to Kyle's folks for my awesome Kitchen-Aid mixer), cream together softened butter and pb until fluffy.
  4. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and 3T of milk. Mix on low for 1 min, or until all the sugar is incorporated. Then mix on medium for 1 min, until the frosting is lighter and fluffy. (You may want to add that extra tablespoon of milk depending on the consistency you are looking for).
  5. Add the frosting (yes, all of it) to the cake crumbs until it's all mushy.
  6. Roll into balls and freeze for 30 minutes.
  7. Melt the baking bark and coat the choco-pb cake balls. Throw them in the fridge until the chocolate is set.

While many cake ball combos call for 16oz. of frosting, I usually only use 8oz. and I think that works fine. In this instance, I decided to use all of the frosting that I made (if you want to know the total ounces, feel free to do the math). They were sooooooooooo good. I'm falling more and more in love with peanut butter, so expect to see more recipes with it as the star!

No comments:

Post a Comment