Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cake Balls for Christmas!

If you can't make a massive amount of treats at Christmas time, when can you make them? So that's exactly what I did (and will continue to do for the next few weeks). So to celebrate Santa's birthday, I made two different kinds of cake balls: one for our Christmas Eve Service at church and one for our visit to Ohio to see Kyle's family.



German Chocolate Cake Balls

You know how it works: Bake up a German Chocolate cake mix as directed. Let it cool completely and then crumble it up in a big bowl. Mix in Coconut Pecan Frosting from an 8oz. can. (By the way, I opened up the can and was like, "Uh, where is all the frosting??" It's totally not 8oz., but it's enough to make do.) Scoop the goo into tablespoon-sized balls; chill them and then dip them in baking bark (chocolate was a good choice this time around).

I made these for Christmas Eve. They didn't last long.



Christmas Funfetti Cake Balls

Guess what! It's exactly the same as before, just with Funfetti cake mix and Funfetti frosting. Yes, they are green. The cake was white but the Christmas frosting is a pale green color. If I had some forethought, I would have tinted the chocolate red to make them all the more festive. 

I took this batch to Ohio. We had a ridiculous amount of sweets there, so, although they were probably the most popular treat on the table, I came home with enough cake balls to give to the mechanics at the 15/501 Midas.

I like the German Chocolate better than the Funfetti, but my favorite are still the Red Velvet and White Frosting version.

P.S. Spell check keeps calling me out on Funfetti. Whatevs blogspot. I know the real deal.


P.P.S. Oh my gosh, we are loving our new counter-top deep fryer. We took it to Ohio with us and deep fried a bunch of stuff: Peeps, bacon, bacon-stuffed Peeps, Oreo truffles, cake balls, brownies, and chocolate bars. Now, that's what I call Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. ummmm, deep fried peeps? bacon-stuffed peeps? brownies? Ok, just how much DID you drink before you thought of those, lol? (and where they good?)

    ReplyDelete