Having never made a pumpkin pie before, I lacked a favorite recipe, so I was totally cool with following the recipe I got from Bacon Unwrapped. As suggested, I used the pie recipe on the back of a can of Libby's pumpkin puree, not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling.
Bacon Pumpkin Pie
- 3/4c sugar
- 1t cinnamon
- 1/2t salt
- 1/2t ground ginger
- 1/4t ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 oz.) pure pumpkin (if you don't use Libby's, I won't tell.)
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
- Whipped cream (Libby's says "optional." I heartily disagree.)
- 10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl.
- Beat eggs in large bowl.
- Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- Mix in crumbled bacon.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
- Top with whipped cream before serving. Again, NOT OPTIONAL!