Friday, September 24, 2010

September Dessert: Buttermilk Poundcake with Penuche Frosting

For this month's dessert, Wanda sent me her family recipe for a 3-layer buttermilk poundcake with penuche caramel frosting. I had never made a 3-layer cake, nor had I made penuche, but I was definitely excited to try things out.

I only have two cake pans (well four, but two of each size), so I baked 2 of the layers and kept the rest of the batter in the fridge until another cake pan was free. Again it always takes longer than the directions say to bake the cake fully, but that allowed me to gauge better how to bake the final layer. I didn't wait long enough to let one of the first layers cool in the pan and so the bottom stuck and a little was left behind. I decided to use that as the middle layer.


3-Layer Buttermilk Pound Cake

Ingredients
  • 1c butter, room temp.
  • 2c sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1c buttermilk
  • 3c flour
  • 1/2t baking soda
  • 1/4t salt
  • 2t vanilla
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour three 8-inch cake pans.
  2. Cream together butter and sugar. Blend in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
  3. Combine dry ingredients in a second bowl (flour, soda, salt).
  4. Add dry mix to wet mix and mix until well-combined.
  5. Pour equally in to 3 cake pans and bake for 25 to 28 minutes.
Easy (Says You) Penuche Icing

Ingredients
  • 1/2c butter
  • 1c brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4c milk
  • 2c powdered sugar
Directions
  1. Mix butter and brown sugar in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat.
  2. Boil over low heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  3. Stir in milk and bring back to a boil, stirring constantly.
  4. Cool to lukewarm - gradually add confectioners sugar - beat until thick enough to spread.
If it's still too runny, let it sit for a while longer, if it gets too hard, heat it back up on the stovetop.

I also had a lot of problems with the frosting. It wound up cooling too much and being to hard to spread on the cake. I didn't know what to do. So I make it again. Then it was too hot and runny. (Lots of bad words being shouted in the kitchen at this point, by the way). But then I read in one of my cookbooks that I could just reheat the frosting on the stovetop and it would still be good and spreadable. Success! And it worked out well that I made two batches of the penuche because one wasn't enough to frost the entire cake.

It looked a hot mess and I didn't get to taste it, but Wanda said it tasted great. I hope it brought her and her family good memories of her mom and grandma.

1 comment:

  1. You have been doing some serious baking lately! I think I want to make Kyle's birthday cake... that looks amazing! Also, I think that beer, bacon, cheese bread was at my house, but I can't be sure because it was gone before I saw any. :) Keep up the good baking!

    ReplyDelete