Friday, September 24, 2010

Lemon Blueberry Bread

Friday was the last day of workshops at the office. I handle some of the food prep, so I thought to wrap things up, I'd make a couple of breads for the morning time. I asked my co-worker and sexy beast, Jillian, to pick out a few recipes that sounded appealing and was on my merry baking way. The first bread is a Lemon Blueberry Bread from Taste of Home.


Lemon Blueberry Bread

Ingredients

  • 1/3c butter, melted
  • 1c sugar
  • 3T lemon juice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-1/2c flour
  • 1t baking powder
  • 1/2t salt
  • 1/2c milk
  • 2T grated lemon peel
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
For the glaze:
  • 2T lemon juice
  • 1/4c sugar

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and lemon juice.
  2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk; beating well after each addition. Fold in lemon peel and blueberries.
  3. Pour into a greased and floured 8 x 4 loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
  4. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely.
I also tossed the blueberries in a about 1T of flour. A chunk of them sank to the bottom regardless. I think if I do something like this again, I'll just drop half of the blueberries on top and see how that goes. I read that the glaze was necessary. I don't know if it made a difference in the taste, but it made the top of the bread look all nice and shiny. The blueberries made the bread super moist and it was a great combination of flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment